School Oral Health Policy Framework
Integrating Oral Health into School Health Programs and Policies
Updated: October, 2011
View PDF - Share
The California School Boards Association and the Center for Oral Health have created a guidebook to address oral health policy in schools. This is the first time in California that the education and oral health communities have collaborated in developing a comprehensive approach to assist school districts deal with the complexities of oral health education and prevention.
The primary objectives are:
- Educate school board members and communities on the critical link between oral health and academic achievement;
- Develop a policy framework that supports local organization and solutions;
- Share knowledge of best oral health practices in schools; and
- Encourage school-based oral health projects and partnerships in local communities.
Intended for school board members and administrators, the guidebook:
- Delivers education and training for school board members and communities;
- Provides tools and sample policies to support an effective oral health infrastructure;
- Identifies and communicates best practices among school districts;
- Supports project development and partnerships in local communities; and
- Offers ideas for initiatives and partnerships in local communities.
This project was made possible by a grant from The Robert Wood Johnson Foundation